nanog mailing list archives

Re: Selfish routing

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:23:32 -0500

Thus spake "Sean Donelan" <sean () donelan com>
How do network operators maintain "fairness" in their networks in
the face of selfish behaivor?  Although this article concerns some
of the "smart routing" products, we see the same thing with other
applications (and even malicious applications like worms).

Every 5 years or so we discuss the need for something like a "penalty
box" for ill behaived traffic.  But in the end, that's too hard.  Its
easier to add capacity than to solve the fairness problem.

Are you asking about strategies to fix the uneven resource utilization
inherently caused by shortest-path routing, or are you asking about how to
deal with abusive traffic?  I don't see a connection between the two.