nanog mailing list archives

Re: Independent space from ARIN

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () att net il>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 07:39:48 +0200

Brandon Ross wrote:

> The solution to the problems posted in this thread about ARIN is fairly
> simple.  It's time to deregulate the IP address market and convert to a
> free market approach to allocating IP addresses.  If address space could
> be bought and sold on a free market you would no longer have to justify
> your address space to anyone, saving untold amount of resources and costs
> pulling these reports together.  Of course, address space wouldn't be
> wasted the way it is today by organizations that hoard it, or by companies
> that go out of business because it would make sound financial sense to
> sell what you don't need.

I am sure Microsoft would love to have this implemented. For them to drop, say, $5b and buy up all remaining available IP address space is no big deal. Then, anytime you boot up Win/XP2 you would be assigned an IP address from their pool (MS/DHCPv4) so that you could work on their new IP/XP2 network which used to be called the Internet. Of course every time you boot, your credit card would be debitted $1.

After implementing IP/XP2 and amassing a war-chest of about $80b, I had heard they were interested in buying up initially all phone numbers in the United States since phone numbers should be converted to a free market approach.

-Hank