nanog mailing list archives

Re: dual router vs. single "reliable" router

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:59:25 -0500

Thus spake "David Barak" <thegameiam () yahoo com>
There are many assumptions and statements about
reliability, but the methodology of how the numbers
were reached is not present.  If one assumes that one
has a router which fails very rarely, this would
dramatically affect network design.  However, this is
an assumption, not a conclusion.  The assumption of
the paper is that the Alcatel box has ultra-low
failure rates, while the Juniper and Cisco boxen have
relatively high failure rates.  Personally, before I
let something like this influence my buying/design
decisions, I'd want to see some serious raw data...

Nearly all the Cisco device failures I've seen were either software or human
problems; actual hardware failure is _way_ down the list.  Also, I've
observed significantly worse reliability among devices specifically designed
to be highly reliable compared to devices simply designed to work.

There are several networks out there using Cisco devices to achieve over six
9's availability, and the way they do that is by extensive procedure review
and rigorous software testing.  Writing more reliable software is certainly
doable, but more-reliable humans aren't likely and more-reliable hardware is
unnecessary.  IMHO.