nanog mailing list archives

RE: Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

From: "Eric Germann" <ekgermann () cctec com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:35:12 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Timo Janhunen
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 9:01 PM
To: Bill Woodcock
Cc: Matthew Kaufman; 'David Lesher'; 'nanog list'
Subject: RE: Looking for advice on datacenter electrical/generator

    > - The gas gets cut off immediately in any fire situation, usually
    > affecting a few city blocks at a time

When was the last time you saw a fire that affected a few city blocks?
I'm sure gas would be cut off in the event of a fire of that magnitude,
but are you arguing that diesel delivery would continue?  Trucks rolling
through the maelstrom?  I'm not sure what your point is here.

Gas being turned off usually affects a few city blocks.

As a volunteer FF ...

Actually, if a fire affects a few city blocks, there will be quite a few
diesel trucks rolling if its a block of any magnitude.  Cummins turbo
diesels pumping 2000GPM out a ladder pipe drink a lot of diesel.  Its not
uncommon at all to refuel them on the fly with courtesy of your friendly BP
delivery driver and its also fairly common to park an 1-1/2" fog stream
underneath the truck fogging the exhaust lest we burn a hole through the
pavement ...

You'd have better odds of finding a diesel truck than the gas line being on
with a large fire.