nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

The internet sucked as a means of getting information on 9/11. I spent
about 20 minutes hitting every news site I could think of, and they had
all tanked. I set an away msg on IM:
"Internet news sucks, I'm going to watch CNN."

There are several ways why "internet news" wasn't as good as TV news:

1. Using an infrastructure that is built for many-to-many communication
   for few-to-many communication is problematic

2. Look at the budgets for online and TV news

3. This type of situation doesn't lend itself well to typing in the news

What the net did do, was permit people to communicate while the phone
network suffered from massive congestion.

I had a good experience using the Internet for news on 9/11, because I used
it in a way that fit the model.. I didn't bother trying to load cnn.com or
whatever, but rather.. I sat in IRC, talking to people whom I trust to
various degrees, who were in turn watching every conceiveable news source
available, they transcribed, and summerized, some setup mp3 streams of the
EMS/Police radios from DC and NYC, other people read old news sources
online. People at ground zero went outside and took pictures, setup
webcams, etc..

I have to say that I doubt I missed anything... So sure, the internet
sucks as a 1:1 replacement for TV (at least without multicast)... but so
what? I think my experience was better... I wouldn't have bothered wasting
my time drooling over the TV anyways... welcome to News 2.0.