nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you stop outgoing spam?

From: "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris () westnet com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:30:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

 B) KNOW WHO THE HELL YOU'RE GIVING ACCOUNTS TO so that (A) works. Get
 a credit card or verify the phone number and other info (e.g., call
 them back, insist on calling them back.)

 C) Use (B) to enforce (A).

      Doesn't work.  See above.

Back in the day, a reasonable BBS would voice-validate all new users. This
meant getting a valid phone number from a new user, and actually calling
them back at that number, before activating an account.

We started as a BBS giving out Unix shell accounts.  Our new user
registration screen still says we voice-validate all new accounts, and we
do.

Chris Candreva  -- chris () westnet com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/