nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerbilities of Interconnection

From: Dave Israel <davei () algx net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:28:52 -0400

On 9/5/2002 at 16:01:02 -0400, alex () yuriev com said:

The thing is, the major cuts are not "attacks;" the backhoe operators
aren't gunning for our fiber (no matter how much it seems like they
are).  If I wanted to disrupt traffic, intentionally and maliciously,
I would not derail a train into a fiber path.  Doing so would be very
difficult, and the legal ramifications (murder, destruction of
property, etc, etc) are quite clear and severe.  However, if I
ping-bomb you from a thousand "0wn3d" PCs on cable modems, I never had
to leave my parents' basement, I'm harder to trace by normal police
methods, and the question of which laws that can be applied to me is
less clear.

This fails to address how this affects someone who has no problem with legal
ramfications - i.e. a terrorist.

Even a terrorist will tend towards things that allow him to continue
to be a terrorist.  If I can do X amount of damage, and get caught, or
do X amount of damage, and not get caught, then he'll do the second.
Even a terrorist that will die to kill will probably not die to
inconvenience.