nanog mailing list archives

Re: question concerning traceroute?

From: Lane Patterson <lane () laneandmimi com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:47:01 -0700

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:31:12AM -0400, Darrell Carley <darrell () national-net com> wrote:

I am trying to troubleshoot a latency issue for some of our networks,
and was wondering about this.Knowing that routing isn't always
symmetrical, is it possible for a traceroute to traverse a different
reverse path, than the path that it took to get there?  .or will it
provide a trace of the path the packet took to reach the destination?
According to definition, is should take the same path, but are there any
other cases that I should be aware of?

Something else to be aware of is the effect of ECMP on traceroutes--where
the source/dest IP (among other hash inputs) can impact which of several
parallel equal cost paths you take thru a backbone.  ECMP is fairly common,
so I would suspect a fairly large percentage of paths are subject to it.

-Lane

Darrell