nanog mailing list archives

Re: PAIX

From: Petri Helenius <pete () he iki fi>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:31:43 +0200

Michael C. Wu wrote:

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:00:48AM +0200, Petri Helenius scribbled:
| | > I'm putting the number closer to 40 (the "NFL cities") right now, and
| > 150 by the end of the decade, and ultimately any "metro" with population
| > greater than 50K in a 100 sq Km area will need a neutral exchange point
| > (even if it's 1500 sqft in the bottom of a bank building.)
| | What application will require this dense peering?

To power the IPv6 networks of refridgerators, ovens, and light switches,
 as well as your 3G video conferencing phone

All of the above combined don't generate bandwith even near what a current
generation peer2peer file sharing client does.

The mentioned applications are not really delay sensitive to the sub-20ms
range either.

Pete