nanog mailing list archives

Re: The market must be coming back

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 01:05:42 -0400

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:33:32PM -0600, Chance Whaley wrote:

Oh phuleeese.... Stop drinking your own Kool-Aid(tm). To honestly
suggest that Foundry, or any other vendor for that matter, never does
'anything less than perfect' is nothing less than idiotic. If Foundry
does things so 'perfect' why do they have a TAC? Why do they have bugs?
Why do they even need to release new software ever again? Obviously what
is out now will solve every possible issue - its 'perfect' right? The
only possible answer according to your logic, is to support customers
who are 'doing it wrong' and need to be educated.

Personally I would say that Foundry does EVERYTHING less than perfect.
Nearly everyone I'm aware of (including myself) who has had to misfortune
to try and use their devices in a service provider environment and a layer
3 role has come away with a universal loathing of biblical proportions.

I really can't stress this enough, it DOES NOT MATTER how many gigabits
your box forwards. A router is ONLY as useful as the quality of its
software and support, if you can't login to it or have working routing
protocols, it's just a big paperweight. The only "wannabe cisco" company I
have seen learn this lesson is Juniper, and I am firmly convinced this is
the reason for their success in the core.

Whenever I read a press release about Foundry in the core, I stop and take
a moment to laugh uncontrollably. It has nothing to do with ISIS or MPLS,
it has to do with making your existing functionality work correctly and
behave in a sensible fashion. Nothing personal against Foundry, but the
people in charge couldn't possibly "not get it" any more than they do now.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras