nanog mailing list archives

Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

From: Scott Gifford <sgifford () suspectclass com>
Date: 19 May 2002 14:54:57 -0400

"Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () opaltelecom co uk> writes:

On 18 May 2002, Scott Gifford wrote:

Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net> writes:

[...]

And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person
be scanning my network to gather information or run recon if
they were not planning on attacking? I'm not saying that you're
not right, I'm just saying that so far I have heard no valid
non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run by
network admins against their own networks).

Before choosing an onling bank, I portscanned the networks of the
banks I was considering.  It was the only way I could find to get
a rough assessment of their network security, which was important
to me as a customer for obvious reasons.

I would argue that this is not good practice and you dont have the
right to intrude on the workings of the banks network just because
you have the technology to do so.. if a telnet port was open would
you also check that you were unable to brute force your way in? That
is to say.. what exactly were you hoping to find and then do with
the results?

I'm not arguing it's good practice.  I'm giving it as an example of a
reason why somebody might scan your network, even though they were not
planning on attacking.

----ScottG.