nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP renumbering timeframe

From: David Schwartz <davids () webmaster com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:45:35 -0700

On Thu, 9 May 2002 18:16:52 -0400 (EDT), David R Huberman wrote:

Just because policies are in place that suggest an assignment may or may
not be justified is wholly irrelevant to whether or not that assignment
takes place (or in the case of the original thread, stays in place). ARIN
is not in the business of saying "do" or "do not".

        Nonetheless, ARIN is in the business of requiring compliance with its
policies as a condition of IP address allocations. Third parties can make
reasonable arguments that they have standing to litigate these requirements
on the grounds that the requirements were intended to benefit the public in
general and hence they are intended beneficiaries.

        IANAL, but this argument was created by lawyers and has impressed lawyers.
As I said though, I know of no case where it was actually litigated. The
threat has always been enough to obtain more reasonable reassignment
policies.

        DS