nanog mailing list archives

Re: Effective ways to deal with DDoS attacks?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 22:18:39 -0400

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:38:52PM -0400, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

How about the following :

We develop a new community , being fully transitive (666 would be
appropriate ) and either build into router code or create a route map to
null route anything that contains this community.  The effect of this being
the distribution of the force of the attack.

This has been proposed a dozen times over, and I agree that there should
be a well known community for discarding packets. Go try and get the IETF
to add it, let me know how it goes. :)

This aside, how effective would be using a no export community with ones
peers (being non transitive, it would still distribute the force of the
attack).

Many people do this already. If you're looking to purchase transit and you
think this is something you'll care about, ask for it or vote with your
wallet.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras