nanog mailing list archives

Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

From: Bruce Campbell <bc () vicious dropbear id au>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 14:14:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

Anyone who thinks that government can pass a law and this will go away is
hopelessly naieve.   The spammers will go overseas.  Besides, if you look

The spammers already use non-US machines in various ways to disguise their
(still predominately) US origin.

been reported to the razor.  rbldns lists are effective only against the
worst offenders, as the rest don't get reported until it is too late.
and so on.

Hrm, I'm thinking that the focus is slightly off (ie, rejection doesn't
have to occur solely at the message delivery stage); assuming that you had
custom software, you could conceiveably get a real time feed of spam/open
relays/other criteria and periodically check your mail
that-you-have-received-but-not-yet-read against any new updates to further
get rid of more spam.  If you've got a few million subscribers who would
be further annoyed at spam/your abuse desk in receiving spam, this would
possibly be productive.

I think the only other methods I can think of are best described as some
sort of "web of trust" type method.  These are essentially whitelist
systems.   In order to send me mail you have to *do* something.

How long before mailing list exploders are forced to only accept
pgp-signed/encrypted mail from its subscribers, and re-pgp-sign/encrypt it
when sending to subscribers ?

--==--
Bruce.