nanog mailing list archives

Re: Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:42:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I was agreeing with Eric's point.  I've been saying this for years.  My
comment about the packet filter was to deal with services that are
needed for some internal purposes, but for some reason can't protect
themselves.  Right now, that's snmp -- you may have snmpd running on
your mail server, but given the recent CERT advisory you need to keep
the bad guys away from it.  (Yes, you should install fixed code -- but
given how many components were affected by that advisory, it's quite
obvious that no one has had time to test the fixes properly.)

Okey-dokey :) I missed that part (the agreement part)