nanog mailing list archives

Re: CEOlink

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:16:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, mike harrison wrote:

In theory, news would be more rebust than mail, because of its distributed
nature and it should be possible to make news work without relying on the
DNS.

Many of us do not run news servers, and you have to 'login' to access it.

Obviously it's not a good idea to use the existing news service for
this... But if we're looking for a very robust mechanism to get
information around when there are many outages, building a network using
dedicated news servers would be a simple and effective way to do it.
Unlike just about anything else, news is truly distributed.

When we start having weird network conditions, I have learned to
quickly scan my mailbox for NANOG and Dshield and a few other lists..
sometimes it helps. E-Mail's great for this. It's there when I need it.

Agree, but the problem is the email service isn't very robust. You could
of course always use a news-to-mail gateway.

A more robust configuration for the NANOG e-mail list would be my
first choice. Maybe a backup east/west coast listserv address: nanog@....
just syncing the mailing list address daily would be enough?

It would probably help, yes.

Iljitsch van Beijnum