nanog mailing list archives

Re: packet inspection and privacy

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:17:44 -0400

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:31:58 PDT, Mark Kent <mark () noc mainstreet net>  said:

I recently claimed that, in the USA, there is a law that prohibits an
ISP from inspecting packets in a telecommunications network for
anything other than traffic statistics or debugging.

Was I correct?

I'd assume this was a reference to 47 USC 605(a) (which has a reference to
18 USC Chapter 119, or possibly 47 USC Chapter 9.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/

I'm not a lawyer. Consult an attorney. ;)

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer