nanog mailing list archives

RE: remember the "diameter of the internet"?

From: "Martin, Christian" <cmartin () gnilink net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:43:38 -0400

Regarding the diameter of the Internet - I'm still trying to
figure out
why the hell anyone would want to have "edge" routers (instead of dumb
TDMs) if not for inability of IOS to support large numbers of virtual
interfaces.  Same story goes for "clusters" of backbone routers.

When ANY router becomes as reliable as a dumb TDM device, then maybe we can
begin collapsing the POP topology.  However, the very nature of the Internet
almost prevents this reliability from being achieved (having a shared
control and data plane seems to be the primary culprit).  There are routers
out there today that can single-handedly replace entire POPs at a fraction
of the rack, power, and operational cost.  Hasn't happened, tho.

I don't like wasting ports for redundant n^2 or log(n^2) interconnect
either, but router and reliability mix like oil and water...

My 2c.

-chris

--vadim