nanog mailing list archives

RE: remember the "diameter of the internet"?

From: <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:38:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

"I'm a Tier-One transit provider -- I only sell transit!  You need to be
just like me in order to peer with me, and you need to exchange gigabits
of traffic with me in every exchange I'm connected into.  Good luck
meeting my requirements!  Meanwhile would you like to pay port and
access charges to reach my other customers instead?", and then there's
the "we don't peer with customers" tactic -- as if they have _only_
other transit networks as customers, though oddly ARIN often disagrees
with their view of things....

PSI (back before they went belly up) was even better with their "free
peering" bait-n-switch.  I looked into that, and they'd run a T1 to us for
free peering, but I didn't think that would cut it.  I wanted at least
frac-T3 if we were going to peer.  Well...frac-T3 peering wasn't available
in the city we wanted to peer in, but they offered to sell us frac-T3
transit there.

--
 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |