nanog mailing list archives

RE: Sprint peering policy

From: "Daniel Golding" <dgolding () sockeye com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:06:12 -0400

William,

It would be quite surprising if an informational RFC changed anyone's
peering policy or opinions on peering. Peering is as much or more so, a
function of business and business relationships, rather than simply a
technical method of accomplishing interconnection. Networks peer when they
have a business reason to do so, regardless of their size. I suspect many
engineers become upset when a large network won't peer with them, and assume
that it is due to large-company cluelessness. While I am loath to suggest
that some of these behemoths have an idea as to what they are doing, most
can recognize a peering opportunity for what it is, and the effect it will
have on their business. If they were only so good at truthfully reporting
their accounting data...Oh well.

- Daniel Golding

when this situation has existed in other industries, gov't intervention
has always resulted.  even when the scope is international.  i've not
been able to puzzle out the reason why the world's gov'ts have not
stepped in with some basic interconnection requirements for IP carriers.
Give example of other industry where such goverment intervention happened
and has helped that industry? And what goverment exactly are we talking
about - US Goverment? France Goverment? China Goverment? This is internet
- its rules should not be based purely on decision of one single
goverment.

Perhaps an idea would be to write an advisery RFC on establishment of
peering relationships by ISPs. While advisery does not mean everyone will
follow, it'll allow groups within a company that are interested in more
peering (network engineers..) to backup their words by an established
internet standard.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc.