nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN - The Case for Replacing its Management

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () exigengroup com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:59:19 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:36:31 PST, Vadim Antonov said:

1) first-come first-served registration

Unfortunately, the concept is totally borked right here, mostly
because of the use of DNS as a yellow-pages.  Two companies that own
trademarks in different fields of business both have to register under
.COM (ok, so they *could* register under .US - hah), with the obvious
outcomes we've known to love and enjoy (Anybody remember who the
*original* owner of abc.com was?)

There's no way you can pile 23 million (or however many it is now) things
into one level of namespace and actually expect people to play nicely.

Yep, I agree.  Replacing DNS completely with hyperlinks from various
directories would be a good thing.  But, unfortunately, most of the
existing software won't work w/o DNS.

--vadim