nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

From: Simon Lyall <simon.lyall () ihug co nz>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:47:24 +1300 (NZDT)

On 3 Feb 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:
Pull it, rather than pushing it.  nntpcache is a localized example of how
[...]

Proposed by someone every couple of months for the last 10 years (at
least). The current software (diablo especially) even supports it to a
good extent, however nobody is doing it for some reason.

Pushing netnews, with or without multicast, with or without binaries, is
just unthinkable at today's volumes but we do it anyway.  The effect of
increased volume have decreased the utilization of netnews as a media
amongst my various friends.

Totally wrong on the non-binaries feed bit. A non-binaries feed is around
1-2GB per day or 100-200kb/s  which is below the noise level for anyone on
this list. Even on the semi 3rd world wages I make I could afford a
non-binaries feed to my house and archive it for less than I spend on
lunches.

Binaries on the other hand is completely different, most people can't
afford it and we are moving to a centralized model with the supernews
types companies being the only ones with full feeds out there.

I am really surprised that the RIAA and similar groups havn't "gone after"
usenet to any great degree yet. I can't really see how binaries newsgroups
different in any great extent (from the copyright angle) from your random
p2p network.

Once a few lawsuits are issued (does the ISC count as a distributor?)
against the dozen or so top news providers things could be quite
interesting.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall () ihug co nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon () darkmere gen nz