nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL & Cogent

From: Pete Kruckenberg <pete () kruckenberg com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:21:26 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

Consider this example: If I buy 100Mbit of transit from
AboveNet in IAD, odds are you're gonna peer off 75% of
my traffic locally, without it ever having touched
expensive longhaul circuits. If I buy 100Mbit of paid
peering, odds are you're going to be burning longhaul
circuits carrying most of it all over the world, plus
the same longhaul carrying it all back to me.

So are any ISPs pricing transit and/or paid-peering
bandwidth (significantly) lower if purchased at an exchange
point?

Pete.