nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent and Level3 Peering Issues

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:25:08 -0500 (EST)

Of course, your right about what needs to be fixed! But situation with
cogent is such that I do not have that option. Their peering link with
level3 is congested because of all the traffic going to AOL and some of
traffic destined to me is going through same link the other way and
getting jammed as a sideeffect as well. I route aol-destined traffic from
my net to provider other then cogent - but how do I tell AOL and L3 (and
only them) that best path to me is through somebody else?

route-map cogent-ick permit 10
  match community-list <aggregate-only>
  set as-path prepend <iamuglypath> <iamuglypath> <iamuglypath>

route-map cogent-ick deny 20
  match community-list <deaggregated-routes>

route-map happy-with-backup permit 10
  match community-list <deaggregated-routes>

route-map happy-with-backup deny 20
  match community-list <aggregate-only>

Basil is right - the best way to deal with that would be for cogent to
provide special community that would allow me to direct cogent to prepend
several of their ASN to level3 advertisements.

Cogent doesnot do anything custom.

Alex