nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent and Level3 Peering Issues

From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:13:18 -0500 (EST)

Thing is if your connection is completely full one way, it'll effect
traffic the other way too. It should not be happening with syncronyous
connections, but practical observation is that it does! I suspect router
hardware is to blame (possibly packet cache is way full) and I'v seen
it happen only if you try to send 100% more traffic then link can handle
(just 100% traffic does not efect it - have to really push it), this
happened on 100Mb and even on Gb interface.

If your circuit is full one way, it really makes no sense to be bothered
dealing with reverse path *before* fixing your forward path. Fix the
outbound (saturated) first, *then* look at the rest.

Alex