nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

From: Kurtis Lindqvist <kurtis () kurtis pp se>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:10:11 +0200 (CEST)

However IPv6 has many privacy issues. IPv6 address space uses an ID
(indentifier) derived from your hardware or phone.  "That allows your
packets to be traced back to your PC or cell-phone" said <censored>.
<censored> fears abuse as a hardware ID wired into the ipv6 protocol can
be used to determine the manufacturer, make and model number, and value
of the hardware equipment being used by the end user.

...uhm, and? What is the real difference with a IPv4 address and privacy?
You can tell as much (more or less) with a port scan to a IPv4
address...and someone will always track the "ID" (I guess that is what I
call IP address).

If we are talking about the EUI64, that will disclose the vendor but
hardly the make and model number....

- kurtis -