nanog mailing list archives

RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

From: "Robert Blayzor" <rblayzor () inoc net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:40:46 -0400

Actually, it's swip'ed to me (I work for said ISP), but I also run a
SMTP server on my laptop which bounces usually between two addresses
(one at home, one at work), and I suppose that the work address (NOT
swip'ed) would have a problem under this proposal.

No, it's not a problem.  Your ISP is registered with the registrar.
They can simply list your IP you've been assigned as a valid mail
server.  They then accept responsibility for your mail server
registration.

I DO understand the reasoning, but it is a **BIG** culture change, and
would take a year or two or more to implement network wide.

That I would agree.  No disputing that.  But at the same time, everyone
agrees that SOMETHING needs to be done.  Regardless of what is done, it
will be a big change.

I think $100/year is STEEP, if it is PER SERVER, but per
COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL it **might** be acceptable.

No, per company.  Not per server.  Per server would be a bit extreme.
Especially for those that have dozens of legit mail servers.  As a
service provider you pay $100 a year for your account, in which you can
manage adding and removing mail server IP addresses from the list.  But
only IP's that are in your SWIP'd space.

Ideas given this?

Above.  Thanks for your input.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]