nanog mailing list archives

Re: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

From: Peter van Dijk <peter () dataloss nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:23:36 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 10:53:19AM -0400, Ron da Silva wrote:
 I'd like to be able to publish DNS records announcing my domain's *outbound*
mail servers, with nice abbreviated forms to say "they're the same as my
inbound (MX) records" or "any IP in x.y.z/24".  Then cooperative ISPs (like say
America Online) could refuse any email from my domain that originated from some
random cable modem, instead of accepting it and then flooding me with 20000
bounce messages.

What about this email from you which came to me from Merit and not your
mail server?  Would break mailing lists and listserves unless the from
field is overwritten.

No, because a mailer doesn't look at headers - it looks at the SMTP
envelope, and mailinglists set this to point to an address of
themselves to monitor bounces.

Greetz, Peter
--
MegaBIT - open air networking event - http://www.megabit.nl/