nanog mailing list archives

Re: Deaggregating for emergency purposes

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:37:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 bmanning () karoshi com wrote:

Typical response: You're not our customer, who are you?
I'm Omachonu Ogali with XYZ Networks, and I'd like to speak to
a network engineer regarding a routing problem.
      Hum.  I take ~4 calls each day for things that are some other
      ISPs problem.  Folks are -politely- told that the issues
      are either with their ISP or someone upstream of their ISP.
      When they get pushy, I offer them a service contract. 99.999%
      (hey Sean, there are your five 9's!) of them then choose to
      work with thier ISPs.  I suspect that you have more than enough
      clue to never have to give me a call, but if you do, be prepared
      to be re-directed... :)

I hope you pay better attention on the phone then you do on lists. :)

The point was calling up the upstream of the AS who is generating bogus
routes.  The upstream of the caller is not at all involved.