nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPSEC and PAT

From: Adam Herscher <adam () xtime com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:01:56 -0700 (PDT)

FWIW, some VPN devices including Cisco's line of "Concentrators" (from the
aquisition of Altiga), conquer this problem by encapsulating the IPSEC
data in UDP.  It's hackish, but is a good solution for VPNs to
telcommuters behind hotel PAT and little Linksys dsl devices.

According to our vendors, these Cisco devices are currently "special
order" items, meaning they take a long time to stock.  They're also
relatively new, so open box/dying dotcom/ebay hardware is hard to come by.

Regards-

Adam