nanog mailing list archives

Re: the group

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 28 Oct 2001 14:25:25 -0800

You and others here probably already know this trick, but you might be able
to get automatic echoes if you use the list address as the moderator of the
newsgroup, such that replies are forwarded to the moderator address rather
than being posted. Might also need to massage the outbound message so that it
strips off unwanted NNTP headers.

A bidirectional mail/news gateway is lots harder than what I use for NANOG.
In addition to the above concerns, there's a need for the "mail side" to keep
its own message-id history for round-the-horn duplicate suppression.  This is
how the namedroppers () ops ietf org <=> comp.protocols.dns.std gateway works,
for example.  (The news -> mail direction is moderated, first by ISC and then
by Randy as are all postings to namedroppers.)

However, for my private NANOG newsgroup I prefer that followups just silently
die.  Any local user of my nnrp server who can't figure out that they need to
use e-mail to post to NANOG, probably ought not be posting to NANOG :-).