nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt

From: James Thomason <james () divide org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

Sure is, they have not authorized you to send such traffic.  I've been
downloading data from your web page, there is no reason for you to send ICMP
traffic my way (one ICMP packet is one end of the extreme).

3a) I ping every host in their netblock once, is that wrong?

You bet !  I've given you no right to do so!

Think of it as freedom of speech.  I can say whatever I like, and you have
the option of listening.

ICMP is a standard protocol I can use to solicit packet responses from
hosts on the Internet. Until that changes, people will be sending you ICMP
packets, and lots of them.

I will ACL you and possibly complain to your upstream for abuse.

Have mercy.

I don't need to tell anyone that they may not enter my hope and park their
arse on my sofa.  The also cannot start walking through my house and opening
doors to see which rooms are occupied.  I'd love to see someone take
portscannig and probing and use tresspass or break and enter laws to
prosecute.

An analogy - how clever.  But wait, your home is private property, and
your network is a public-access system.  I can park my car in front of
your house, and my dog can crap by your mailbox.

Why not !  I have not authorized you to probe my network ! Does your
proposal scale ?  What if I want to ping every host on the @Home network 100
times in a day (ooops thats 350 million ICMP packets that enter your
network, is it a problem NOW?).

Nothing to my knowledge is preventing you from sending ICMP echo requests
to every host on the @Home network 100 times a day.  There would be little
they could do about it, other than politely ask you to stop, or filter
you.

Where is the line drawn between a SMURF and a legitimate probe ?  Who gets
to draw the line ,the sender, I think not!

A smurf is an intentional denial of service, an ICMP echo request is not.

I know of no standard that incorporates ICMP probes with HTTP transfers.  If
I ask for HTTP data, thats all that I expect, nothing less, nothing more.  I
am not opposed to such a standard, but am opposed to people trying such
schemes without my knowledge or permission.

Yes they can. Its a Free Internet (tm).

I've got much better things to do than enter millions of  hosts into an ACL.
If one had to block all this traffic, routers would need hundreds of CPUs
and Terabytes of memory (going through an ACL that is thousands of lines
long takes a lot of power).

You might consider upgrading your IOS, it looks like you are going to
need it.