nanog mailing list archives

Re: Digital Island sponsors DoS attempt?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:22:21 -0400

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:58:41 PDT, Dave Siegel said:

However, I would think it common courtesy to contact the network
administrator of a site you intend to measure, particularly if your
measurement tools are likely to trip security alarms.

Now if we only knew how to get (for example) things to work right if the
contact would look like:

"Hi, we have an F5 load balancer, and one of your users just contacted us,
and we were wondering if it were OK for us to try to provide better service
for your user by measuring network latencies before we send the content they
asked us for...."

And I suppose we really *should* also ask all the transit AS's as well...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst