nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP network design of non-authoritative caches

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:20:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

dnsops is for operators of authoritative name servers.

dnsop (note singular) is for non-protocol, but still technical, aspects
of the dns.  i am not aware of an ietf wg which limits parcipitation by
occupation.  if you want cliques, go to icann :-).

Thanks for the correction.  I read the DNSOP charter and parts of the
mailing list archive, and had the misconception the work was focused
on authoritative name servers.

Is there a white paper, best common practice, or book which shows
the naive ISP (whether they have 10 or 10 million subscribers) how
to architect their DNS system?

not of which i am aware.  wanna help write a dnsop i-d?

Yes.  I didn't want to duplicate work.  If it doesn't exist, I
can put together at least a few obvious good practices any operator
should consider.