nanog mailing list archives

Re: Stealth Blocking

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:43:45 -0400

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 06:12:56PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:

Absolutely not. Our entire Norte Americano culture is biased AGAINST apriori
restrictions. You DO NOT spank someone for something that they have NOT, in
fact, done.

Leash laws.  Prohibitions on minors buying spray paint.  Speeding laws.

I think we have [only] a slight disconnect here. ident is part of the
protocol. [side note: I'm setting up a new Postfix host (my first Postfix

Ident is a completely seperate protocol.  Saying ident is part of SMTP
is like saying TCP/IP is.  Ident is optionally used by SMTP, but it's not
a part of it.