nanog mailing list archives

Re: black hat .cn networks

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () anime net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Adrian Chadd wrote:
"To translate this from English to your local language, please
try $WEBSITE."
So, how about we get imput as to the best English-Japanese
translation service online, and then *cough* attempt to
standardise on contacting chinese networks this way?
They might appreciate the effort. Well, we can then at least
say "hey, we TRIED, right?" before the more drastic measures
are pulled. But if we agree on a decent translation website URL they can
go to, we can get some human-translated chinese to cut and paste
into emails.

Actually ive been thinking of setting up a page where you can generate
native-language complaint messages by selecting a language, and then
filling in the blanks with pulldowns, eg:

"Language: [Russian|Chinese|Korean|Japanese|Spanish|...]

To whom it may concern:

We [are receiving|were exploited] by [ddos|portmap|named|...] attacks from
[ip address|netblock] on [month] [day] [year] at [time]. Our timezone
offset is [UTC-xxxx]. Please take corrective action and notify me of the
results. If you do not speak [English|German|French|...] you can use the
webpage http://... to compose your reply. Attached are logs detailing
the attacks.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter."

This would of course require the assistance of native speakers. I should
be able to get russian, chinese, japanese, french, german covered.

My russian friend tells me that anyone operating a russian network should
have at least a basic understanding of english. Even when I sent them
complaints in russian, they responded in good english.

-Dan