nanog mailing list archives

Re: tcp,guardent,bellovin

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:09:29 -0500

In message <200103122349.f2CNndk28613 () foo-bar-baz cc vt edu>, Valdis.Kletnieks@
vt.edu writes:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:09:32 EST, "Richard A. Steenbergen" said:
And since the "victim" will have the current sequence number for inbound
data, what would keep it from (correctly) sending an RST and tearing down
this false connection?

And THAT my friends, was the *original* purpose for a TCP SYN flood - it
wasn't to DOS the victim, it was to DOS a machine *trusted by* the victim
so you could forge a connection and NOT get nailed by an RST.

I'm sure that Steve Bellovin can point us at the original discussion
of this, which was *ages* ago.  I remember hearing that Kevin Mitnick
used that (in addition to other tricks) against Shimomura's machines
and thinking "Hmm.. so it's *not* just a theoretical attack anymore..."

More or less.  When doing a sequence number guessing attack, one of the
problems faced by the attacker is preventing the spoofed machine from
replying with an RST to the SYN+AC for a connection it knows nothing
about.  Morris's original version used a low-rate SYN flood that
exploited a bug in the BSD kernel to effectively gag a low-numbered
port.  His paper can be found at
ftp://ftp.research.att.com/dist/internet_security/117.ps.Z
This isn't the same weakness that was exploited by the early SYN
floods, but it took advantage of the same limit on half-open
connections.