nanog mailing list archives

Re: Would anyone be interested (SQL/Bind)

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:43:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, David R. Conrad wrote:

I might point out that BIND version 9 comes with a Postgres/SQL sample
"simple database interface" driver that permits the storage of DNS zone
data in a Postgres/SQL database.  Zone data is extracted from the database
per query (the data does not need to be extracted and BIND reloaded).  If
the DNS load is too high to support SQL queries on a per-DNS query basis,
using a stealth primary would most likely work.

I'll take a look at that. It might be a good idea to make it modular, if
it isn't already modular[0], so that people could create "plugins" that
work with other databases. Personally, I'm going to see how much work is
involved in porting the code to MySQL, since I don't use Postgres.

[0] I imagine the chances are good that it's already modular, but I
haven't really had a chance to look at Bind 9 yet. I have to get it
installed on a development box and do a little testing before I am
comfortable enough to do anything with it.

--
Steven J. Sobol/CTO/JustThe.net LLC | sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net
SAY IT LOUD: I'M GEEK AND I'M PROUD! | 888.480.4NET (4638) 216.619.2NET (2638)