nanog mailing list archives

Re: Namespace conflicts

From: <alex () yuriev com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:19:20 -0500 (EST)

In message <20010309064952.B10940 () eiv com>, Shawn McMahon writes:

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:27:20PM -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
More precisely, the courts started getting involved as soon as
first-come-first-serve stopped working fine.

No, someone involved the courts when they were second, and the courts
didn't understand so they didn't smack it back at the lawyers "dismissed
with prejudice".

DNS didn't make the mess, the courts did.

In my area of NJ, virtually every town's "obvious" .com domain names were
grabbed by one of two competing would-be service providers.  They had
absolutely no town-specific content -- but if the town wanted a Web
site, they had no choice but to deal with these folks.  I have no major
problem with first-come, first-served *productive* use of a domain name,
but frankly, that's not where the problem has been.  The problem has
been speculators and cybersquatters.

And how would you define "productive" use?

ALex