nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]

From: woods () weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:48:42 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 13:41:55 (-0400), Fletcher E Kittredge wrote: ]
Subject: Re: Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]

      I haven't been able to figure your statement above out.  I
thought you were saying that given a client device MAC address, one
could determine which cable modem MAC address was servicing that
client MAC, even in the cases where the cable modem was just acting as
a bridge.

Luckily not much of this thread has been polluting NANOG, so I'm not
100% sure what your goal is here, but I will point out that:

The client-IP addresses active on any CPE interface of any cable modem
compliant with the DOCS-CABLE-DEVICE-MIB (rfc2669) can easily be
discovered with SNMP.  From there it's very simple to find the client
MAC in your dhcpd.leases file (though I don't know why the IP#s wouldn't
be sufficient for most needs).  Note too that this same table should
also act as a filter to lock static addresses to a given modem if its
entries are assigned by the operator.

The only problem of course is that you've got to SNMP-scan all your
modems to find which customer's using a given IP# (I did that a couple
of times just this morning! ;-).  There are no doubt ways to cache this
information, and maybe even refresh a cache intelligently.  There may
even be a better, proprietary, way do do such searches in well
implemented head-end systems (doesn't seem to be in Terayon's though).

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>     <woods () robohack ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>