nanog mailing list archives

Re: New list Top 10 ISPs

From: PETER JANSEN <peter.jansen () cw net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:18 -0400 (EDT)

Rafi:

I admire your no-nonsense, focused approach to the IPS classification
game. But than, it is probably as accurate as all the other ratings.

Peter

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rafi Sadowsky <rafi-nanog () meron openu ac il>
To: RJ Atkinson <rja () inet org>
CC: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>,
    nanog () merit edu
Sender: owner-nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: New list Top 10 ISPs

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:

At 09:47 12/06/01, Sean Donelan wrote:

NetworkWorld published an article citing research from
Probe Research ranking the top 10 ISPs and their marketshare
based on Year-end (2000) revenue.

        Essentially none of these sorts of analyses
are meaningful or relevant because one can yield
any result or ordering one wants by playing games
with the definition of "ISP" and the basis for
the ranking.

 Well - I think Genuity is the #1 ISP - since they use AS 1
(They got AS1 when they bought(merged in ?) BBN ) and it's quite obvious
that the ISP with the #1 Autonomous System is the best - right ? ( ;-)

    Rafi

        Also very unclear to me how any of this
helps folks operate their networks or is applicable
to NANOG, unless we've become a marketing organisation
recently...

Ran