nanog mailing list archives

RE: /24s run amuck again

From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:10:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Philip Smith wrote:

I was working on almost the same thing... :-) As from next Friday, my
routing report will include the top 20 ASes which are announcing
prefixes more specific than the registry minimum allocation (/20),
more specific than a /24 from 192/8 space, more specific than a /16
from former B space, more specific than a /8 from former A space...

I've always been suspicious of using registry allocation boundaries, there
are too many legitimate ways to set it off. There are lots of reasons to
have some diverse /22 announcements in your network for example. On the
other hand, if you have 200 seperate /24s announced from the same /16,
with the same aspath, and the origin owns the entire block, there is
simply no reason for this.

 11371      307      Rhythms NetConnections
  3491      651      CAIS Internet

DSL providers are becoming very bad about this. Someone pointed out to me
off list that CAIS had carved up PSI's /8 into over 500 /24s.

   690      502      Merit Network

Well at least we don't have to go too far to find the guilty party. :P

 18994      468      Global Crossing
 15870      436      Global Center Frankfurt
 18993      325      Global Crossing

Those are the GlobalCenter datacenters being converted into the Exodus
network. It looks like they are leaking a sizable number of /32s /30s etc,
and since its GBLX space I'm assuming its stuff that used to be aggregated
into a single announcement.

There is no attempt to measure aggregation - that's the job of the
CIDR Report. This simply looks at the prefix announced and if it is
outside the above limits, it is counted. Makes very interesting
reading...

The one interesting pattern I noticed in the rampant /24 abuse was non-
contiguous announcements. It's likely that this kept them off the CIDR
Report and any other scans which only looked for contiguous announcements.
For example:

1.2.3.0/24
1.2.5.0/24
1.2.7/0.24