nanog mailing list archives

Re: SWIP update intervals (was: Re: Getting an AS and /18)

From: Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk () easystreet com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 12:28:57 -0700

...and while we're on the subject of SWIPs, can I get a pet peeve off my
chest - the fact that RADB entries are updated in minutes, yet it takes
typically 24 hours or more for a SWIP database change to show up in the
servers (and the next day to even determine that the change was accepted
by the servers)? Is there any real reason for ARIN to not be able to
update the database in near-real-time?

The problem is that none of these organizations have any real incentive
to care. They're all "monopolies".

For example, recently NetSol updated whois database at 2AM on 6/28/01
and didn't bother to update again until 6PM on 7/2/01. Approx. 112 hours
later. There are a LOT of things that depend on whois. But, despite
language at icann.org web site that says

        NSI Registry Agreement
        (form approved 4 November 1999)

        9. Publication by NSI of Registry Data.

        (A) NSI shall provide an interactive web page and a
        port 43 Whois service providing free public query-based
        access to up-to-date (i.e. updated at least daily)
        registry database data

NetSol obviously doesn't give a damn about whether or not whois is up to
date. They don't have to. Their lucrative monopoly was recently extended
for many more years.

Unfortunately I don't know of a simple way that databases like these can
be maintained without relying on a monopoly organization doing the
actual work. It's just something you need to learn to live with.

Nothing described similar monopolies better than Lily Tomlin's memorable
character Ernestine the telephone operator:

        We're the phone company.
        We don't care, we don't have to.