nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hard data on network impact of the "Code Red" worm?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:36:38 -0400

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:22:18 CDT, Larry Sheldon <lsheldon () creighton edu>  said:

Alos, is it possible that the critter got through firewalls and "did harm",
but could not get back out again?  I don't know of any cases like that.

Of course you don't know of those cases - they didn't get back out.  Of
course, all it takes is one site that says "OK, Fred needs to surf the
web for JUST A MOMENT" for it to escape again.

And I'm sure there's more than one site out there that doesn't realize
they've got a problem inside their firewall...

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst