nanog mailing list archives

RE: How common is lack of DNS server diversity?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:38:32 -0800

It appeared from the reports/complaints we
received that a number of client systems/resolvers had decided to only
request data from the nonfunctional DNS server and despite
failing on that
wouldn't ask our other listed DNS servers. They therefore could not
resolve addresses for otherwise functional network assets. I seem to
remember this was somehow related to systems running Microsoft OS's.
  Am I confused or could it be that Microsoft knows something
about this?

MS DNS, WinNT4 and below, have broken search algorithm implementations.
DDNS, Win2K, is currently untested.