nanog mailing list archives

RE: Involuntary outages may start at 7am PST

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:52:28 -0800

From: Nathan Stratton [mailto:nathan () robotics net]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 7:27 PM

On 22 Jan 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

Have any Internet providers or private data centers announced any
voluntary "good neighbor" measures such as wider
temperature and humdity
limits, lights-out operation, off-peak use of heavy
electrical demands
for laser printers, etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, but frankly I would not be
happy if my colo
providers started implementing wider temperature and humdity
limits. I pay
large amounts of money for colo and I want what I am paying
for. This mess
was caused by California regulators and very very greedy PG&E
who gambled
on lower rates and lost. PG&E should be forces to liquidate
other out of
state assets and buy power at the market.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. PG&E is caught between a rock and the
generators. Generator cost has been gouged up over 700% and PG&E is forced
to maintain prices. There is plently of capacity if the generator companies
want to bring it online. Obviously, they don't, because they have a pretty
good blackmail hand right now.