nanog mailing list archives

Re: Involuntary outages may start at 7am PST

From: John Fraizer <nanog () EnterZone Net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:15:03 -0500 (EST)

Nathan,

There is a difference between wider temp and humidity limits and running
them hot and dry (dry is bad here.  Might be good there.  We humidify like
it's going out of style this time of year).

I've walked into datacenters that were 60deg.  There is NO need for
that.  Even 78deg for a few hours is better than the risk of introducing
more failure modes. IE; rolling-blackouts start. (1) UPS fails during
generator spin-up time. (2) Generator(s) fail. (3) Transfer switch fails.

Right now, it doesn't matter what the mess was caused by.  If you have
equipment in an effected area, you're in reactive mode and anything that
keeps the equipment running and reduces the chances of being hit by forced
power outages is better than nothing.

lights-out ops and shutting down non-essential equipment (the NORAD wall
of 100inch monitors at the NOC, laser printers, blah blah) should not have
any adverse effect on your operations at all but can make a difference.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc