nanog mailing list archives

RE: Maintenance Windows for Networks Spanning Multiple Time Zones

From: "Christian Kuhtz" <ck () arch bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:20:41 -0500

If you run a global operation, you can't please everybody.  Post your
maintenance windows, post your planned activities, and communicate.  That's
the only way if you truely are a global 24x7 shop.

With some services, you can also use your capacity planning metrics to
determine when there are dips in utilization and schedule the maintenance
window for that timeframe.  Be creative.  Nobody said running a global 24x7
shop was easy.

Use whatever measurements you got which determine dips in utilization, figure
out your maintenance window (including time to back out if not successful) and
find a way to make it fit.  Build a redundant system if you don't think the
outtage is acceptable.  Test it, and build a lab.  Various degrees of zeal and
paranoia are applicable here.

There is no canned solution.

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck () arch bellsouth net> -wk, <ck () gnu org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.