nanog mailing list archives

Re: SLC power failures

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:19:21 -0600

Once upon a time, Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> said:
As power is being restored throughout the midwestern part of the US,
one interesting feature showed up.  A lot of telephone companies are
using Subcriber Loop Carriers (SLCs) to provide service.  Some phone
companies are using local power sources with limited battery backup
for some SLCs.  With the extended power outages, central offices with
generators maintained service; however, the remote equipment didn't
have local generators.  This resulted in people losing their local
loops and telephone service as the power outages lasted for days.

I've noticed that all the newer BellSouth SLCs in this area (Huntsville,
AL) appear to have natural gas hookups.  I have been wondering if this
is for some kind of backup power.  Anyone else seen this?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>