nanog mailing list archives

Re: net.terrorism

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () bit nl>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:25:43 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, William Allen Simpson wrote:

Sabri Berisha wrote:

I am concerned. Concerned about people and companies who think they are in
the position to be net.gods and for political reasons destroy the free
character of the internet.

I've been involved for over 20 years, and don't remember this "free
character".  Perhaps there is a language translation problem?  That
also applies to the use of the word "terrorism"?

"Free" as in everybody decides their own policies. "Terrorism" as in
forcing your policies on someone elses network.

In the history of the internet, people have been trusting each other.

When?  I remember the RFCs on policy based routing over a decade ago.
Have you read them?

No. But if it makes you feel better, I will.

In my opinion, announcing a netblock using BGP4 is making a promise to
carry traffic to a destination within that netblock. If you feel that
parts of that network are against your ethics or AUP, you should not be
announcing such a netblock.

Announcing a netblock doesn't promise that every address in that block
exists or is reachable.  A network that is blocked for AUP violations
doesn't "exist", and usually returns the ICMP message "Unreachable --
Administratively Prohibited" specifically designed for such situations.
Have you read "Router Requirements"?

Why do you want me to have read everything you have read? My point is not
policy based routing or which ICMP message I get. My point is not to
announce something you won't route.

Above.net is blocking a host in UUnet IP space.
194.178.232.55/32. --> this tester is part of a /16 belonging to
uunet, and sends traffic which is in violation of our AUG.  we
complained to uunet without any effect.  if we have blocked access
from this /32 to our backbone, we are within our rights.

After this mail, we contacted Above.net again. They basically told us it
was for our own protection because that traffic from that host does not
comply to their AUP. We specifically told them we really don't mind them
blackholing that host but *announcing* a route for it. So far no response.

Where did they announce a "host route"?  I thought you said they
announce a route to an netblock -- an entire /16?

Yes, they announced a /16.

It seems from the email that they clearly stated that the traffic was
in violation of the AUP.  We all block specific sites that harm our
networks.  Otherwise, there would be no capacity left for our
customers.  It's the "policy" part, for which BGP was designed.  Go
read the design RFCs.

Read read read... I'm pretty familiair with BGP.

If you are participating in tests with 194.178.232.55
(relaytest.orbs.vuurwerk.nl), then you need a private connection to
that specific site, just as many academic sites test unstable network
software.  Expensive, but shouldn't be too bad considering that both of
you are in the Netherlands....

If I want to make sure my traffic gets to that host, I can set up a static
route to our second uplink. But it's not *me* who should be filtering. How
do I know which other hosts are being announced and blackholed?

--
/*  Sabri Berisha, non-interesting network dude.
 *